So I was listening to a Russell Brunson podcast the other day and he was talking about investing and pricing your products. He talked in great detail about the money mindset around investing in yourself and subsequently the prices that you charge to your own clients.
What I found most interesting about this podcast was his train of thought around pricing yourself. If the expectation is to have a client invest say, $1000/dollars a month into your own business for products or services, subsequently you should be willing to invest at least that much into yourself and your own business. He used the example around him investing $100k into a mastermind group because he plans to launch his own 100k/year group.
As my business has morphed over the years one thing I have continually doubled down on myself. I have spent hours on self-development, learning, studying, and continuing to hone my craft as a marketing strategist. By investing in myself, I have continued to uplevel the people I surround myself with, the communities that I am in, and myself and my team.
Here are just a few of the ways I have invested in myself this year: a mastermind/accountability group, The Hive, with Sue B. Zimmerman, I have joined The Funnel Playground with Emily Hirsh and Lindsay Padilla, I joined Marie Forleo’s, B-School, and I’ve invested in systems to streamline my business (you can learn more about here).
I share this because I want you to know what goes into growing a business. For the last 4 to 5 years my business has been right around the 100k a year mark and I decided 2017 was the year to move the needle forward on that number. So I decided I was going to double down on myself, my team and my business because I believe I truly believe I can build a high 6 to 7 figure business by the end of 2017.
So today I want to share with you my 5 Takeaways about Investing in Yourself:
- By investing in myself and my business, I can see and feel what goes into creating a thriving online business, I can see the value in what I do and feel more confident than ever in the prices that I am charging.
- These investments have given me the accountability I so desperately needed as an entrepreneur to get sh*t done and move the needle forward in my business especially the Hive. One of the first action items Sue had me do was block time to work on my business.
- The communities that these women have built are incredible. I am surrounded by awesome entrepreneurs who are working in and on their business and I LOVE it.
- I make decisions a lot faster now because I can see that a lack of decision is still a decision. I say no to stuff that isn’t in alignment with my business and YES to everything that is.
- If I’m not willing to invest in myself then why should my clients. This was probably one of the biggest takeaways from the Russell Brunson podcast and all of the work I’ve done thus far this year. I know I had been feeling much more confident but I couldn’t put a finger on exactly what it was and when I heard that podcast the light bulb went off. If I plan to create programs that costs upwards $2000/month or $10,000/year than I should be investing at least that much in myself. So I can understand the psychology of what that feels like, what those programs look like, how they are run and the culture of the groups and I’ve done just that.
So if you want to grow and you are quietly contemplating building your online empire, start by looking at the investments that you are making. Look at what is going on around in you in your industry, pay attention to your pricing, and where you are spending your time. I know for me these investments have been a game changer for me and if you are planning on creating a program, course or membership site, find one that you admire, that is crushing it and invest in it. Surround yourself with entrepreneurs who are more successful than you and double down on you. If you are stuck and aren’t sure which direction to pursue or just want to build an online business but aren’t sure where to start feel free to book a complimentary 30- minute strategy call with me.